The old Broadway musical refers to the state of Oklahoma “where the wind comes sweeping down the plain.” It calls to mind the region’s vast grasslands and wide-open spaces; lone hawks circling for prey; and cattle grazing as far as the eye can see. In a very real sense, the state capitol–polished, cultured and cosmopolitan as it is–retains the pioneer spirit of its forbears. Like the state over which it presides, Oklahoma City is immense in geography, intense in its climate and dynamic in population. It is flush with investment in agriculture and energy. Spending time in this city conveys a taste of the old, rugged west with the progress and cultivation of a major metropolitan center.
The Best “Must See” Attractions In Oklahoma City!
After checking into any one of many great OK City hotels, you can avail yourself of the city’s vibrant night life, especially in the exciting Bricktown neighborhood. Bricktown hotels include EconoLodge and Super 8, if you opt for thrift. On the other hand, this area also offers a Marriott, Hilton and the Hyatt Place Oklahoma City/Bricktown if indulging in style and comfort beckons. Whatever you choose, you are just minutes away from a number of enjoyable experiences. From pubs to night clubs to eateries of all kinds, travelers will find establishments to suit their tastes perfectly.
- Dubbing itself “The Most Famous Bar on the Planet. Period.” Coyote Ugly lives up to its movie name reputation with a bevy of talented bartenders and top-shelf musical entertainment, ranging from country-western to rap to disco.
Club One 15
- Priding itself on political incorrectness, Club One 15 offers good food, strong drinks, dancing and parties. These occasions are centered around holidays, sporting events and any other reason to party. Celebrity entertainers and DJs are a staple at this establishment.
- If you are out to simply enjoy some hearty food and drink with friends, the Bricktown Brewery serves up a wide variety of craft and local beers; generous and tasty appetizers, burgers and pizza; and some delectable desserts.
Heyday Lower Bricktown
- Heyday Lower Bricktown hosts bowling alleys and an adult arcade to compliment any lunch or dinner. This unique eatery makes for a fun night out without costing very much.
- Abuelo’s is the place to gratify a hankering for Mexican food. Tapas, enchiladas, tamales and tortilla soup–and so much more–await diners with a south-of-the-border longing.
Mickey Mantle’s Steakhouse
- Mickey Mantle’s Steakhouse is an upscale restaurant that dishes up its signature steaks and chops. Although far from the oceans, its seafood is also in demand.
Oklahoma City is also home to an NBA basketball franchise, the Oklahoma City Thunder (considered among the best squads in the country), a professional soccer team and a minor league baseball club — the Oklahoma City Dodgers, playing at the Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark. The Chevy Bricktown Events Center is a venue for other sporting events and concerts. Of course, University of Oklahoma sports is just a 20-minute drive south.
True, Oklahoma may be called “flyover country” by the uninformed. To experience Oklahoma City, however, will put that moniker to rest forever.