The International Cricket Council (ICC) declared its annual awards on Thursday morning, honoring players who did well across various formats in the 2017 cricket match.
As expected, Virat Kohli and Steve Smith stole the show at the ICC Awards 2017. The Indian skipper received 2 of the biggest honors: Cricketer of the Year (Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy) and ODI Cricketer of the Year and was also named the captain of both, ICC Test and ODI teams of the year.
In the qualification period from 21 September 2016 to the end of 2017, Kohli scored 2,203 Test runs at an average of 77.80 including eight centuries, 1,818 ODI runs at 82.63 including seven centuries, and 299 T20I runs at a strike rate of 153.
Now Kohli became the fourth Indian player to win the Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy after Rahul Dravid (2004) Sachin Tendulkar (2010) and Ravichandran Ashwin (2016).
Here is ICC Awards 2017 Winners List:
- Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy Cricketer of the Year – Virat Kohli
- ICC Test Cricketer of the Year – Steve Smith
- ICC ODI Cricketer of the Year – Virat Kohli
- ICC Associate Cricketer of the Year – Rashid Khan
- T20I Performance of the Year – Yuzvendra Chahal (India): 6/25 versus England in Bengaluru.
- Emerging Cricketer of the Year – Hasan Ali (Pakistan)
- Spirit of Cricket Award – Anya Shrubsole (England women’s team)
- Umpire of the Year (David Shepherd Trophy) – Marais Erasmus
- Fans’ Moment of the Year – Pakistan winning the ICC Champions Trophy 2017 beating India in England.
- ICC Test Team of the Year: Dean Elgar, David Warner, Virat Kohli (captain), Steve Smith, Cheteshwar Pujara, Ben Stokes, Quinton de Kock (wicketkeeper), Ravichandran Ashwin, Mitchell Starc, Kagiso Rabada, James Anderson.
- ICC ODI Team of the Year: Virat Kohli (captain), David Warner, Rohit Sharma, Babar Azam, AB de Villiers, Quinton de Kock (wicketkeeper), Ben Stokes, Trent Boult, Hasan Ali, Rashid Khan, Jasprit Bumrah.
ICC Men's Test Team of the Year
— ICC (@ICC) January 18, 2018
ICC Awards 2017 – Women’s Winners
ICC Men's ODI Team of the Year
— ICC (@ICC) January 18, 2018
- Rachael Heyhoe Flint Award for Cricketer of the Year – Ellyse Perry (Australia)
- ODI Player of the Year – Amy Satterthwhite (New Zealand)
- T20I Player of the Year – Beth Mooney (Australia)
- Emerging Player of the Year – Beth Mooney
“It means a lot to me to win the Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy for ICC Cricketer of the Year 2017 and also ODI Cricketer of the Year. I won that (ODI) back in 2012. This is the first time I am winning the Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy. This is a huge honor for me, probably the biggest award we have in world cricket. Two Indians getting back-to-back makes it more special. Last time it was Ash (Ashwin) and this time I am getting it. I a really really honored. I want to thank ICC for recognizing all the hard word we put in. Want to congratulate all the winners,” Kohli said.
© 2018, thecheckernews.com. All rights reserved.