On Saturday, the Former Secretary-General of the United Nations Kofi Annan died. He was 80.
An official statement from The Kofi Annan Foundation was shared and announced on the Mr. Annan’s Twitter handle: “It is with immense sadness that the Annan family and the Kofi Annan Foundation announce that Kofi Annan, former Secretary General of the United Nations and Nobel Peace Laureate, passed away peacefully on Saturday 18th August after a short illness.”
The Nobel Peace Prize winner served as the U.N. special envoy to Syria, and he was the first black African to be appointed as Secretary-General. He served around 2 terms in the post from 1996-2006.
“The family kindly requests privacy at this time of mourning. Arrangements to celebrate his remarkable life will be announced later.”
The former Secretary-General of United Nation Kofi Annan: Read Here 15 Inspiring Quotes
- “We may have different religions, different colored skin, but we all belong to one human race.”
- “To live is to choose. But to choose well, you must know who you are and what you stand for, where you want to go and why you want to get there.”
- “When women thrive all of the society benefits and succeeding generations are given a better start in life.”
- “Education is a human right with immense power to transform. On its foundation rest the cornerstones of freedom, democracy, and sustainable human development.”
- “Gender equality is more than a goal in itself. It is a precondition for meeting the challenge of reducing poverty, promoting sustainable development and building good governance.”
- “Peace is never a perfect achievement”
- “We have the means and the capacity to deal with our problems if only we can find the political will.”
- “Violence against women is perhaps the most shameful human rights violation, and it is perhaps the most pervasive. It knows no boundaries of geography, culture or wealth. As long as it continues, we cannot claim to be making real progress towards equality, development, and peace.”
- “If one is going to err, one should err on the side of liberty and freedom.”
- “I am often asked what can people do to become a good global citizen. I reply that it begins in your own community.”
- “Let us be good stewards of the Earth we inherited. All of us have to share the Earth’s fragile ecosystems and precious resources, and each of us has a role to play in preserving them. If we are to go on living together on this earth, we must all be responsible for it.”
- “Invite politicians to dinner and let them tell the world how delicious it is. They will proudly go around and say, ‘I ate crickets, I ate locusts, and they were delicious.”
- “The happiness of any society begins with the well-being of the families that live in it.”
- “You are never too young to lead.”
- “The world is not ours to keep. We hold it in trust for future generations.”
© 2018, thecheckernews.com. Disclaimer: We don’t own images and other social media contents appearing on this site. We give due credit to their respective owners wherever practicable. But, some images without source might still appear on this site.